August 23, 2017

My friend lives in the state of MA, married for 26 years. His wife is mentally abusive. She wants him out of the house. Options?

Additional Information:

My friend has been married to this woman for 26 years in MA. He can not take it anymore. She is mentally abusive to him, does not work, does not do any work in the house, and there is no sex either. He finally confronted her about the marriage, that he could not take it anymore, so she told him, you have 7 days to leave the house. He provides for everything, pays for everything, and he does everything in the house. Does he need to leave the house? What are his rights? What reason should he use for divorce? They have an 18 year old and 12 year old. Will she keep the house,and will he be obligated to pay for that mortgage plus his apartment when he finds one? Help! What can he do?


He does not need to leave the house and should not leave the house before consulting with an attorney. He should consult with an attorney as soon as possible who can fully advise him on all his rights based on the particular circumstances of his marriage. He could either file for divorce under a fault ground i.e. cruel and abusive treatment based on the mental abuse, or a no fault irretrievable breakdown. An experienced attorney can advise him on the pros and cons of both.

Riddle & Associates’ criminal defense lawyers serve the Central Massachusetts region including the areas of Lunenburg, Leominster, Fitchburg, Worcester, Gardner, Clinton, Bolton, Lancaster, Berlin, Acton, Concord, Greenfield, West Boylston, Marlborough, Northborough, Westborough, Groton, Shirley, Pepperell, Townsend, Ashby, Winchendon, Ashburnham, Templeton, Princeton, Ayer, Harvard, Worcester County, Middlesex County, Franklin County and surrounding communities in Massachusetts.

Worcester County Criminal Defense Lawyers
603 Massachusetts Avenue, Suite 2
Lunenburg, Massachusetts

Email Us | Office Directions