August 19, 2017

My wife and I are divorcing, can I prevent her new boyfriend from moving in with her and my children?

Additional Information:

We live in MA and are not divorced yet. I  know my wife has a new boyfriend. I am afraid that once I am out of the house that he will move in with her and my 4 boys all under the age of 13. I am and will continue to pay for the mortgage. Is there a waiting period that needs to be before he can move in?


I always oppose a spouse moving in their new boyfriend/girlfriend during the pendency of a divorce when there are minor children involved, and in this case there are four. I find it to be totally inappropriate and confusing to the minor children who are already going through a very traumatizing situation with their parents divorcing. I have never had a judge not order this when I have requested it in a motion and therefore I believe most if not all judges share this same philosophy. I would absolutely oppose this if I were you, it is not in the best interests of the children.  Once the divorce is complete however, it can be a different story. You would generally need a compelling reason to keep the boyfriend out of the home after the divorce. Without knowing more about the situation I can not advise you appropriately.
Good Luck.

Riddle & Associates’ criminal defense lawyers serve the Central Massachusetts region including the areas of Lunenburg, Leominster, Fitchburg, Worcester, Gardner, Clinton, Bolton, Lancaster, Berlin, Acton, Concord, Greenfield, West Boylston, Marlborough, Northborough, Westborough, Groton, Shirley, Pepperell, Townsend, Ashby, Winchendon, Ashburnham, Templeton, Princeton, Ayer, Harvard, Worcester County, Middlesex County, Franklin County and surrounding communities in Massachusetts.

Worcester County Criminal Defense Lawyers
603 Massachusetts Avenue, Suite 2
Lunenburg, Massachusetts

Email Us | Office Directions