August 19, 2017

How do I get my ex-wife removed from my house deed?

Additional Information:

I have been divorced for 9 years and as part of the separation agreement, I got the house. How do I get my ex-wife removed from my house deed? One of our lawyers was supposed to take care of this but it never happened. I have contacted my lawyer numerous times over the years to no avail. What do I need to do to get this taken care of?


A new deed needs to be drafted tranferring your and your wife’s interest into your name alone.  Most attorneys are capable of drafting a Quitclaim Deed and it is relatively inexpensive.  The new deed will need to be signed by you and your ex-wife and both signatures will need to be Notarized.  This new deed will then need to be recorded at the appropriate registry of deeds for a fee of $125.00.  It is really that simple.

The only issue that could complicate the matter is if there is an outstanding Note on the property in you and your ex-wife’s names jointly or in her name individually.  If so, then generally your ex-wife would not deed over her interest in the property until you refinanced the Note or paid it off so that there is no longer a Note and Mortgage in her name.  Upon refinance or payment of the Note in full, then your ex-wife should immediately deed over her interest in the property to you.

Riddle & Associates’ family law attorneys serve the Central Massachusetts region including the areas of Lunenburg, Leominster, Fitchburg, Worcester, Gardner, Clinton, Bolton, Lancaster, Berlin, Acton, Concord, Greenfield, West Boylston, Marlborough, Northborough, Westborough, Groton, Shirley, Pepperell, Townsend, Ashby, Winchendon, Ashburnham, Templeton, Princeton, Ayer, Harvard, Worcester County, Middlesex County, Franklin County and surrounding communities in Massachusetts.

Leominster Family Law Attorneys
603 Massachusetts Avenue, Suite 2
Lunenburg, Massachusetts