August 23, 2017

Spousal Support & Alimony

Massachuetts Spousal Support and Alimony Lawyers

Massachusetts Divorce and Alimony Lawyers | Will There Be Spousal Support In My Divorce?

Although it is ultimately up to the judge, the experienced divorce lawyers of Riddle & Associates can provide an educated opinion on whether alimony will be granted in your situation.  We are often times able through zealous representation or negotiation able to obtain alimony for spouses seeking it or preclude alimony for those seeking to avoid it

Spousal Support in Massachusetts Divorces

Also known as spousal maintenance or alimony, spousal support is granted at the judge’s discretion, based on a number of criteria. The primary factors are:

  • Length of marriage: usually ten or more years
  • Education levels: for example, one spouse has a Ph.D. and the other is a high school dropout
  • Earning history: for example, a high-income professional married to a housewife or stay-at-home dad
  • Future earning ability: a disability, “too old” for the workforce

Spousal support is determined by need and ability of the other spouse to pay.  Spousal support is either awarded as rehabilitative – extra income to enable the receiving spouse to return to school or obtain job training, or it can be awarded for a term.  The term could be five years, ten years, twenty years or in some cases indefinite or lifetime.

Our attorneys often negotiate spousal support as part of a divorce settlement. This approach may be preferable to letting a judge decide the matter for you.

Spousal Support Modification

Spousal support is determined by (a) need and (b) ability of the other spouse to pay. If your ex-spouse has remarried or his or her income has increased, you can petition the court to decrease or end your alimony payments. Likewise, if you are receiving alimony and your ex-spouse is making more money, you can seek to increase the amount you receive. Our lawyers can help you determine whether or not you are entitled to a modification in the level of spousal support you are receiving or paying.

Contact Massachusetts Family Law and Spousal Support Attorneys

If you have questions about spousal support or alimony, call the the family law attorneys at Riddle & Associates at 978-342-2254.

Worcester County divorce and spousal support lawyers serve the Central Massachusetts region including the areas of Lunenburg, Leominster, Fitchburg, Worcester, Gardner, Clinton, Bolton, Lancaster, Berlin, Acton, Concord, Greenfield, West Boylston, Marlborough, Northborough, Westborough, Groton, Shirley, Pepperell, Townsend, Ashby, Winchendon, Ashburnham, Templeton, Princeton, Ayer, Harvard, Worcester County, Middlesex County, Franklin County and surrounding communities in Massachusetts.