My wife and I are divorcing – will she have any claim on monies from my new business?

Additional Information:

My wife and I have been separated for over a year. I am living with a new partner in the Fitchburg area and considering starting my own business. Will she have any claim on the monies when we go through the divorce?

Yes.  As long as you are still married your wife could seek an equitable share of any interest that may exist in the new business as well as seek spousal support and or child support from any income made from the business.  The fact that you are separated does not mean that your wife cannot still seek and potentially obtain a portion of the business or the income from it.  You are generally better off not creating a new asset or source of income during the pendency of a divorce.  My advice to you would be to consult with an attorney experienced in divorce law and begin divorce proceedings immediately.  The attorneys at Riddle & Associates are experienced in divorce matters and would be happy to consult with you.

Fitchburg Divorce attorneys at Riddle & Associates serve the Worester County region including the areas of Lunenburg, Leominster, Fitchburg, Worcester, Gardner, Clinton, Bolton, Lancaster, Berlin, Acton, Concord, Greenfield, West Boylston, Marlborough, Northborough, Westborough, Groton, Shirley, Pepperell, Townsend, Ashby, Winchendon, Ashburnham, Templeton, Princeton, Ayer, Harvard, Worcester County, Middlesex County, Franklin County and surrounding communities in Massachusetts.

Boston Metrowest Divorce Attorneys
344 Summer Street
Fitchburg, Massachusetts

Categories: Questions & Answers.